Delf Sand Run of Mine

History

Infrasors Holdings Limited

The Company was initially listed on the AltX of the Johannesburg Stock Exchange on the 31st July 2007 after the company had been formed on 19th April 2007. With effect from 1 March 2007, Infrasors acquired Lyttelton Dolomite (Pty)Ltd, Delf Sand (Pty)Ltd and K&F Bricks.

On the 1st February 2010, Infrasors moved onto the main board of the Johannesburg Stock Exchange housed under the “General Mining” sector.

On the 1st March 2013 the JSE Ltd listed entity Afrimat Ltd obtained a majority shareholding in the Company.

Lyttelton Centurion Mine

The mine was established in 1938 by Amcor for the purpose of supplying metallurgical grade dolomite to the iron and steel industry. The metallurgical grade dolomite has specific properties that allows it to be used as a flux agent in the making of iron and steel.

Ownership was passed onto Samancor Limited who ran the mine for most of its early life. During this time the manufacturer of powders was introduced. In the late 1980s the mine was approached to manufacture aggregate for the local construction industry. One of the first projects that it supplied to was the new Defense Head Quarters on Pretorius Street in Pretoria. Being a highly sort after product for use in concrete due its characteristics, it has been used in a number of high profile buildings in Pretoria and the surrounding area.

In 1998 it became a private company through a management buy-out. The mine in 2007 was integrated into Infrasors. The mine has continued to be an important supplier of metallurgical grade aggregate, and during the later half of 2000s has invested in plant which has increased the supply of construction aggregate and powders. The mine is currently capable of producing 1.6million tons per annum.

The mine, being situated in a built-up area, has always had a working relationship with the surrounding community. Currently communication and understanding of its business is conducted through the Environmental Committee Forum which meets regularly to discuss the mine's progress. The forum is represented by a number of interested bodies.

Marble Hall Mine

The mine was first established in 1919 for the purpose of extracting and cutting marble. In the early 1940s, being state owned land, Marble Lime Associated Industries, who were undertaking mining activities, was requested to produce tanning salts for the manufacturing of military footwear. The plant continued to produce until 1946.

In 1976 Northern Lime limited obtained a Mining lease agreement and related mining right to mine limestone. Sometime there after the company name was changed to PPC Lime Limited. In September 1988 the lease and mining rights were sold to Samancor Limited.

The mine up to this point had been producing hydrated lime using the original kilns from the tanning operations. In the late 80's this activity ceased.

In 1999 the lease and mining right formed part of a management buy-out and was incorporated into Lyttelton Dolomite (Pty)Ltd together with the Lyttelton Centurion mine.

This in turn was sold onto Infrasors in 2007. The mine has matured into producing metallurgical grade aggregate, construction aggregate and powders.

Delf Sand Mine

Portion 10 of the farm Pienaarspoort 339 JR some (2000 ha) originally belonged to the Sammy Marks Family Trust. Sammy Marks was a South African pioneer industrialist who was inter alia, a founder member of ISCOR.

The farm was purchased after the discovery of diamonds in the Cullinan district – he hoped that this fortune would also extend onto his farm.

The first sand supplied to Consol Glass, probably after the Second World War, came from this farm; it came from the western section of the farm, the land located close to the current Pienaarspoort station.

Before the elections in 1994, the farm was offered to Lourie van Heerden, an attorney who purchased the property as the remaining members of the Trust had all emigrated.

Lourie van Heerden’s son in law, Francois Roets, together with other family members started a business, Delfsand, in 1995. The business supplied building and plaster sand mainly to Pretoria and surrounding developing areas.

In 1999, Delf Sand recognized the importance of the strong demand for high-quality silica sand products, particularly within the foundry industry. A processing plant was therefore constructed to produce graded silica products that would conform to international standards, enabling Delf to become a leading supplier of alluvial silica sand in South Africa.

In 2007 the mine was incorporated into Infrasors. It has continued to supply silica sand to the foundry industry and has expanded its customer base to include supply to the tile adhesive industry, golf courses and recreational facilities.